If it’s your first time hiking and been wanting to make your first steps out into the wilderness then Mt. Balagbag is the perfect mountain for you to try.
Located in Rodriguez, Rizal, this mountain is fairly easy to climb with a rewarding view of the gold, barren fields of the nearby mountain range of Sierra Madre and overlooking nearby cities.
The hike starts off easy with trails varying from a short paved walk and then up uneven ground winding your way through the small neighboring mountains. You will pass by many houses going up to the 2nd registration point that is minutes away from the mountain peak. You will also encounter lots of bikers when going on a weekend hike.
An easy commute going to the jump-off point, wide and easy trail and a rewarding view makes Mt. Balagbag one of your best options for first-time hike. Warm up those sleeping muscles and get hiking!
- Bring at least 1 liter of water, or more if you tend to hydrate more. The trail and the summit are barren and there are little to no shade. Keep yourself hydrated at all time to avoid getting tired easily.
- Since the mountain does not have tree-cover, be prepared with sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, arm covers.
- Wear comfortable trainers. The hike does not require specialized shoes for the mountains but wearing a good pair of rubber shoes would be best. Don’t climb in your doll shoes, ladies. (Believe us, we saw one)
- You can have a picnic lunch at the summit, there are a few benches there you can use.
HOW TO GET THERE
- From Cubao, take a bus going to Tungko, P55
- Alight at Jollibee Tungko, head to BDO and look for the terminal to Licao-Licao and board the jeep to the jump off point, P27
- Same way going back 😉
- 1st registration at the barangay elementary school, P 10
- 2nd registration point, P 20